Sunday, 13 July 2008
GBBD for JULY
My second Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day already.
Can't quite believe that a whole month has passed.
Things are looking rosier.
Above some of the plants that are giving me pleasure at the moment. The orchids are one of many garden presents I have received over the weeks. I feel truly spoiled by the kindness that has been shown me.
Phalaenopsis is one of the easier orchids to grow when you don't have a heated greenhouse. It will flourish in a warm room, (minimum of 15 degrees C overnight) as long as there are no draughts and good light but not direct sunlight. In poor light they develop lots of green leaves at the expense of flowers.
Compost should be changed after a year or so, and will need the addition of bark or rockwool. It should not be allowed to totally dry out, and hard water should be avoided. Better to use boiled and then cooled tapwater or use clean rainwater at room temperature.
A weak liquid general feed every other week at most, and the removal of spent leaves and flowers will be required. The flower stalk should be cut off no more than half way, at the nearest node, in order to have more blooms coming.
Penstemons (= five stamens), or Beard's tongue, won't do well in shade. They need a year to became established and should be cut back to 3 inches in April of the second year. This will promote strong flowering stems.
They mostly originate from the US and have been around in the UK since Victorian times and even then there were many hybrids around. They are a promiscuous lot and the endless numbers of seedlings raised by amateurs and professionals alike, mean that the nomenclature is extremely confusing.
As early as 1910 there were trials at Wisley of around 190 cultivars.






6 comments:
Well, that one is beautiful. Mine are still out from summer. I inherited my first one and it didn't do well, yes it was in the shade. Thanks for the information about them.
Your photos are absolutely gorgeous! I can't pick a favorite, I love them all.
Thanks for the info on the orchids. Mine have not done well for years and maybe it's from my hard water. I am going to start using the water I collect from the dehumidifier. Maybe there is hope, as I used to have such lovely orchid blooms before I killed them all.
Great pictures, I love your blooms.
You asked about the shrub clematis I pictured. It is Clematis integrifolia 'Alba'. I have a wire ring support holding it up. I don't know how it would do with that, but it's worth a little effort to support because it does seem to bloom for a long time. I just ordered a blue-flowering one.
Thanks for joining in for bloom day!
Carol, May Dreams Gardens
Gail,
Your photographs are lovely! The penstemon is quite possibly one of my favorite from a group of favorites.
The penstemon I have in my Tennessee garden grows in shade or sun, but it isn't the beauty you have! Again lovely.
Gail
Penstemons are fabulous plants. I'm really interested in the orchid information. Haven't grown them much. Happy Bloom Day.~~Dee
Beautiful, beautiful pictures. Very nice Penstemon in the first one
Post a Comment